Learn more about Bruce Power’s commitment to its community
Our values guide our conduct, decision-making and relationships both on site and in our community. Living our values means we conduct our business ethically, respectfully, safely and with professionalism.?Our Code of Conduct is based upon our Bruce Power values and sets a high standard of personal and professional integrity and behavioural expectations for all of us.?It?provides the detailed information, guidelines, and references to other policies and resources that will help our employees make the right choices on a daily basis.
We embrace and practice strong nuclear safety principles recognizing that reactor, industrial, radiation and environmental safety are essential to the successful achievement of our long-term goals and key to our reputation.
- Assure Safety First before proceeding with any activity
- Accept responsibility for our own and each other’s safety
- Work to minimize radiation dose to As Low As Reasonably Achievable (ALARA)
- Identify and correct safety concerns and do so with a sense of urgency
- Ensure every recognized safety standard is achieved without shortcut
- Anticipate hazards and manage risk through planning and preparation
- Embrace the Human Performance tools to minimize errors and prevent events
Professionalism and Personal Integrity
We believe in honouring ourselves, our business and our personal commitments.
- Recognize our role as nuclear workers and embrace the higher standards of responsibility and accountability demanded by our many stakeholders
- Conduct ourselves ethically and in a manner that is fair to Bruce Power and its stakeholders
- Accept that, as empowered adults, each of us is accountable for our own performance
- Fulfil our commitment to a complete day’s work for a full day’s pay
- Adhere to procedures
- Make commitments and complete actions in a timely manner
- Identify, document and correct quality concerns
- Report problems and facts in a timely and honest manner
- Invite oversight of our work activities to obtain constructive critique and gather insight for self improvement
Respect and Recognition
We recognize that our people are essential to our success and respect their exceptional efforts.
- Value the professional skills and personal commitment made by every employee and contractor to Bruce Power
- Provide clear leadership guidance and expectations to the workforce and reinforce these with positive coaching and recognition
- Acknowledge the need for work life balance
- Treat everyone with courtesy and encourage open and honest two-way dialogue
- Regularly inform employees of important information and business plan objectives, actions and progress
- Recognize and reinforce great performance and proper behaviours
- Identify and address less than adequate performance and improper behaviours
- Expect every employee and contractor to demonstrate strong team play
Passion for Excellence
We demonstrate commitment to continuous improvement to create sustainable performance excellence which benefits all of our stakeholders.
- Benchmark actively and intelligently to align our performance metrics and targets with the top quarter of the industry
- Explore the world for industry best practice
- Input and champion new ideas and innovate to leap ahead of our competition
- Embrace systematic and rigorous planning, scheduling and preparation to ensure success
- Execute our Business Plan by developing, executing and monitoring detailed action plans using key performance indicators
- Engage, challenge and positively motivate each other to create contagious commitment and engagement throughout the organization
- Are cost conscious in every business decision
- Actively minimize waste
- Constantly critique ourselves to identify lessons learned
- Use training to support continuous performance improvement
We recognize business excellence and our financial strength as an opportunity for contributing to the greater good.
- Advocate for Bruce Power and the Nuclear Industry
- Consider the impact of our operations and actions on the community
- Foster a culture for open and honest two-way dialogue with the public, the regulator and our shareholders
- Recognize that our individual behaviours in all settings reflect on our company and our colleagues
- Maintain our facilities with consideration for our neighbours and the community
- Endeavour to support community charitable initiatives through corporate and individual contributions
- Provide targeted relief in times of social calamity and disaster
We are open and transparent about our operations, and have developed a series of policies that outline our commitment to our community. These policies cover a number of items, including safety, the environment and working with local and provincial Indigenous communities.